Presbyterian Homes had its beginnings in 1946 when a committee, appointed by the Synod of Minnesota of the United Presbyterian Church, decided to investigate the matter of a home for the aged in Minnesota. Under the leadership of its chairman, Dr. Edwin Kagin, the committee recommended building a home for the elderly. In 1953, Presbyterian Homes of Minnesota was incorporated, with Dr. Irving A. West being elected the first president of its board of directors.
In 1955, the first senior residence was built by Presbyterian Homes of Minnesota, the predecessor of Presbyterian Homes & Services, on 20 acres of donated lakeshore property in Arden Hills. Today, 42 senior living communities, from which Presbyterian Homes & Services serves over 22,000 older adults, are located in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa.